Sep 5, 2013

The value of teachers: A Teacher Appreciation Speech on Teacher’s Day

| 1 Comment

This is the transcript of my speech I gave at Trinity Theological College's Teacher's Day 2013

Dear distinguished principal, teachers, staff, advisors and well-wishers of Trinity Theological College, and my dear fellow students, Ladies and gentleman. I am extremely happy to be amongst you on this coveted occasion of teacher’s day. It would have been better, if the General Secretary had made this speech. Nevertheless, I am really humbled and I feel proud at the same time for the grace and trust which had shouldered on me.

Friends, as you are aware, that we celebrate teacher’s day on 5th September every year throughout the country, to mark the birth anniversary of Dr. RadhaKrishnan, the second president of India, a profound philosopher, statesman and educationalist of exceptional stature. In fact, Teachers day commemorates the memory of Dr. Radhakrishnan and his notable contributions to the cause of education. This day also recall and acknowledge the immense contributions of countless teachers of our nation.

Teacher is an English word and the Sanskrit word for teacher is GURU, which comes from “GU” and “RU”. The “GU” indicates the darkness and “RU” indicates which removes the darkness. Therefore, a teacher’s role is a torch bearer and pivot of any educational system of younger students. Teaching, in fact, is not a job, it is a noble calling. Teacher is a source of information, a guide, a mentor, a motivator, all at the same time.

Our former honorable president, Dr. APJ Kalam, in his book India 2020: “A vision of new millennium” rightly brought out the role of a teacher, I Quote:
“If you are teacher in whatever capacity you have a very special role to play because more than anybody else, it is you who are shaping the future generations”
The people of a country are the enlarged replica of their teachers. They are the nation builders. In this context, Dr. Radhakrishnan said beautifully, I Quote:
“You cannot make or build the nation by just bricks, you have to establish the minds of young people, then alone can the nation building take place.”

In this regards, I also want to put this to let you know that as we walkout out this college, we will be taking part of you wherever we go and in whatever we do. For you have instilled the part of you in us while shaping and molding us. We are your reflection, the image you believe in; which is good. We are actually “you” extending the road you have taken.

Our colleges have been performing well in all facet of education and overall personality development of student. I am not exaggerating; I had attended four colleges across India and this is my fifth college. And I know what I am talking about. I already have an emotional attachment to this college and I believe everyone has the same feeling. This credit goes to all of you who have been working relentlessly.

Ephesians 4:11-13 implies that God has called some among the church to be teachers, to train and disciple their fellow believers. Their goal is to prepare the church for acts of service and evangelism. But most important of all is their work to see that believers observe all the things the Lord had commanded. We are so blessed to be your students. Words can’t express our gratitude for what we’ve already experienced with your guidance. We are so happy to have found such teachers like you. Thank you for all of your enrichment and beautiful teaching in our life.

I would like to quote the “ode to teacher” of Mohammad Muzzammil Shah, an Indian poet, who thinks himself a lifelong student. I quote:

A worthy teacher is like a shelter,
That he saves us from the pathos,
And his magic voice does our way alter,
Where we find only rose and rose.
More splendid seat if we achieve,
Or attain much higher status,
He praises us but doesn't grieve,
He is glad on our success and pat us.

You have been all things to us. You have been a friend, a counsellor, a mentor, a guide, an educator. You have shown us by example the way to lead our lives as we continue to tread the roads of our lives. You have given us your love, and we could not ask for more. I don’t have the right words to express what you mean to us nor could it be. But the greatest thing we achieved in our lives in this college is that you have been our teachers.

With you by our side, we are better and stronger each day. We are full of conviction that one day we will not just be leaders but even more than conquerors that follow justice, mercy and humility. You have given us the courage and vision to envision our future. And we know, when discipling is finally over, we will be disciples indeed.

I would like to conclude my speech with the tribute of great teacher Einstein to the teacher, I quote, “The ideals which have lighted my way, time after time, have given new course to face life cheerfully have been kindness, beauty and truth.”

I want to give a BIG thank you to all our teachers. And thank you all for being a lovely audience.

To God be the glory!

Tags :

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to your account intended for providing the know-how about computers the particular teacher’ersus twenty-four hours. The speech with tutor’second twenty-four hour period is usually real telling and it is great for me inwards getting ready my instructors solar day language.by Gautam

    ReplyDelete